Saturday, March 13, 2010

AGING HAIKU




So I've decided to write a book of "AGING HAIKU"- poems about my advancing age composed in the traditional Japanese, non-rhyming, 3-line format of 5, 7, and 5 syllables.

There's something very Zen about the process, though this may be simply because I've written most of the haiku while wearing a t-shirt, kimono, and pair of socks.

Anyway, here are some of my current favorites:

Low on Lipitor.
Arteries ask, "Is that cheese?"
Fly to CVS.


Do you remember
when you remembered when you
could remember? What?


Listen to The Byrds.
Bless Crosby's strong new liver.
And I turn, turn, turn,


Gray like rain at dusk.
Clairol number 2-1-2.
Six dollars. Sunshine.


Falling now. Sagging.
Like branches in heaviest snow.
Gravity. Damn. Damn.


Run, Lover, run fast.
Hot flash. Mood swing. Un-oh. I
may have to kill you.


I need no tampons.
Midol and Motrin are gone.
Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.


More to come. Until then, arigato, Mr. Roboto.

No comments:

Post a Comment